After a 3 + year break these blocks are calling to me again! Lots has happened since my last block, the biggest is that I got married! This block was one I finished in 2009, but did not cut down to size until 2013. Simple applique.
I did not look up the meaning of "Jonquil" until I finished the block, and then learned that it means a daffodil. I probably should have chosen yellow fabric. This green fabric does make me happy though. Not sure where it came from!
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Wow this week I procrastinated on my project for the Ruby Star Wrap Along.
Good thing I decided to make the 5 Minute Party Pouch!
I followed the example here and made it out of one big rectangle. Even with having to search for a needle for my sewing machine, this took less than 5 minutes.
It was really quick and easy. I can see myself whipping these up for baked goods in the future instead of going to the store and buying cellophane bags. It's Lucy's birthday soon, so she's checking out presents :)
Posted by Lynn at 6:33 PM
Saturday, November 10, 2012
Posted by Lynn at 4:51 PM
Friday, October 5, 2012
Last weekend was Popo's 93rd birthday party. I'm similar to her in that we both do not like being hot. However, recently I've noticed that she likes to have a blanket covering her legs in her wheelchair sometimes. So... for her 93rd birthday I decided to make her a quilt!
This is the Summer Sampler Series Quilt Along quilt. It was really fun to make. I have to say that I am much happier now that I know what settings to put my machine on for a scant quarter inch. My points don't all match up perfectly, but it's nice to look at this quilt and see how far I've progressed.
I used Quilter's Dream cotton batting request loft. I love this stuff!
Posted by Lynn at 1:03 PM
Thursday, October 4, 2012
Alright, here is my first wearable washi.
Not bad, right? I also look pretty proud of myself.
Alright, first I have to say this is a fantastic pattern. Rae clearly spent a lot of time on the pattern, and it's made very well. I used her video tutorial to do the partial lining, and it's awesome. When Rae was making the pattern, she mentioned that she was trouble with the darts. I should have known it would cause me trouble too!
This is my 3rd Washi. I will put on the other ones on at a later date and show you, but I had a problem with the shirring. I used a small stitch length, so when I tried to put it on, the back did not stretch back to the original width! Once it's on, it's fine, but it was very difficult to get on and off.
For this one, I used a stitch length of 5.0 and a tension of 3 when I did the shirring, and it seems to have worked out.
Now, this will not be my last washi. If you look closely at the bust darts, you can see that they look odd. It's not as obvious in this photo, but if you look from the side they are a little pointy. I think they are also a little higher than my bust apex, but would gladly take some advice and opinions.
For the next one I cut out, I shortened the bust dart by an inch, but didn't realize they look a bit high until I saw these photos. It seems to be a little better, but we'll see!
Posted by Lynn at 12:53 PM
Saturday, April 21, 2012
My second Renfrew was not much quicker than my first. I decided to size down, so I had to cut out all the paper pieces again. While I was at it, I also cut out all the pieces for view C.
I forgot the twill tape at the shoulders, so had to go back and add it, but it didn't seem to work right. I went straight to the serger for the neckband, and it has creases. My twin needle doesn't seem to like me, so the neckband looks like it has raw edges even though I promise it doesn't!
The fabric is from Girl Charlee, and I think it's cute. The stretch was kind of on the bias, but for this shirt it didn't seem to matter. This fabric curled a lot more than the bamboo jersey I used last time. It also seems to stick to my tummy fat more. I am sucking in here like my life depended on it. Here is the fabric info from the site:
Content: Cotton Jersey
Weight: Light to Medium Weight
Notes for next time: Size 8 fits better. Don't forget the twill tape! Also use a straight stitch when setting in the sleeves, the neckband and the twill tape. Don't be lazy and go straight for the serger!
Aside from all that, I really like the shirt. I also like cutting off my head for the photo. No more weird faces!
Posted by Lynn at 11:08 AM
Saturday, April 14, 2012
There is no reason anymore not to make my own shirts. I made a Renfrew, and it was great. I cut a size 10 and did View B (short sleeves, V-neck) and it's really not so bad. The fabric I used was a bamboo jersey that I bought years ago. In the pattern, Tasia says to use a stable knit. I have no idea what that means.
I got a little confused as to when to use a zig zag and when not... which is why my right shoulder is a little frumpy. I did a zig zag stitch there and it seemed to rumple it up a bit. I did use my serger to finish up all the seams. I think next time I will use my serger from the start and only use the sewing machine to topstitch.
The shirt is a little wide at the shoulders... sometimes the seam goes onto my arm. But really, the shirt is comfortable and fits fairly well. I'll call it a success!
I have more planned, and I did a big order from Girl Charlee. Hope the fabrics are nice!