Saturday, October 27, 2007

In Stitches Sew Along: Sept/Oct Patchwork Bag

patch side sun
This bag is the original reason why I bought this book. When flipping through the book, I immediately noticed this bag. What's not to love? There's patchwork, quilting and it's big enough to fit everything I carry around everyday. I was so excited when it was announced as the Sept/Oct project. Like usual, I procrastinated and waited until the last 2 weeks of October to start the project. To my surprise, I finished it in one weekend. I think making the Weekender Bag prepared me for how many steps these Amy Butler bags can take.
strippy side sun
Since it took me so long to start, I got to see what all the other bloggers said about this bag. Everyone seemed to like how it was turning out, and that it was actually looked like the bag in the book. No wonky corners or stuffing the bag with clothes to get a boxy shape.
charm closeup
I decided that this bag was going to be loved. I went out and got Amy Butler's Nigella prints to make this bag. And I really do love this bag. I made the patchwork the same as the suggested sample in the book. I love the fabric and I really like how it turned out.
lining and pocket
Of course, bags are meant to have pockets. So I added one.
Isometric View
Even better, I've already used it twice! :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! It does pay off to take care of the details. Btw, I was walking through a bookstore today when I came across Amy's lifestyle book. Very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Oooh I bought the book for this bag, too! Cept I'm still lazy and my bag is only partly finished laying on the dining-turned-sewing table.

Anonymous said...

Oops...that last comment was me Cousin!

Anonymous said...

Your patchwork bag is a work of art--I truly love it. I'm glad you bought that fabric as it looks awewsome with the bag.

Liz Harvatine said...

Nice work! This is some really great workmanship! Good job Lynn!

flanthrower said...

Wow! This bag is gorgeous! I've been meaning to make this bag now for ages and keep putting it off. (Too busy making *other* bags.) Will have to make this one soon though...it looks like the perfect size and shape.

Christina said...

This bag turned out great! I like the long shape.

Oiyi said...

I love this bag, too! I love the colors you chose. Wonderful job.

FinnyKnits said...

Oh girl you are goooooooooood - that bag looks awesome! Congrats to you for putting it together so well and with such perfectly matched fabrics. That is such a challenge. Mine always look like doody.

:)

rdrop said...

It's a super nice bag! ^_^

I wish I had time to make bags.. maybe this weekend...

Regina said...

Your bag is just gorgeous!!!

sulu-design said...

This is beyond wonderful. You must be so pleased with how the bag turned out - so lovely! Congratulations on a job well done!

African Kelli said...

You really did a mind-boggling good job with that bag. I am totally impressed with the photography too!

Marisa said...

This is supercute. Nice color and fabric choice, and what beautiful photos! Nice work Lynn!

Kris said...

I LOOOOOOOOOVE that! You're inspiring me to make one as well!

Anonymous said...

I have this book. I have owned it for months and months. I can't believe I missed this bag.
I have to make one. thank you so much for sharing and introducing me to the sew along. I am just about to join.
You bag is fantastic and totally inspired me to get the book off the shelf again.