Monday, March 2, 2009

Book Review: Weekend Sewing

Hmm?
What's that? Finally a book review? I received my copy of Weekend Sewing at least a week and a half ago, and I am finally getting around to reviewing it. I LOVE it.
weekend sewing
Alright, first the book itself. It is BEAUTIFUL. It is also very similar to Weekend Knitting in that all the projects can be completed in a weekend (or two), and there are cute little recipes sprinkled throughout. I love Heather Ross' writing style (love her blog), and I read the entire book, although I did not make anything from it yet. It starts out with an introduction of how she began sewing, and then goes into setting up your sewing space. I found this very helpful and this past weekend bought an ottoman in which to store my (new to me since friday!) Singer Featherweight. The end has an appendix with the terms she uses. The patterns are fabulous. The few that I skimmed seem to have clear instructions. Here are a few I intend to make:
cosmetic case
everyday dress
kimono dress
There are cute patterns for women and kids, but surprisingly, considering the current trend in a lot of books I buy, nothing for pets, although Lucy did point out the Pup Tent to me.
Pup Tent
I really do like this book. Most of the patterns in here are ones that I can see myself wearing and using. Hurray for Heather Ross!

There is another review on a blog I follow here and you can see more images from the book here. Also, Heather Ross is having a cute contest right now. You should check it out!

5 comments:

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

Lucy is too cute! I keep hearing about this book. I'll have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous you have a featherweight! I need to work on that...although I have no space in the apartment for one :( Let alone an ottoman to hold it. I've been meaning to buy this book...it looks super exciting. And it's about time Lucy made an appearance!

Oiyi said...

Hi Lucy!!

Between you, Karen and the other bloggers out there raving about this book, it's driving me crazy!! Hopefully, I will get it soon. I have yet to make anything out of Seams to Me. I guess I just like hoarding craft books.

Junie Moon said...

I've been thinking about this book. It's on my Amazon.com Wish List as I was waiting to read reviews from my blogging friends like you. Everyone seems to like it, so I'll go ahead and order it. Thanks for the review.

Rebekah said...

I just got this book last week and I love it too! I want to make the makeup bag and kimono dress that you showed.

My grandma was looking at the book and the picture of the tent and said, "don't you think you could just skip the sewing part and use a flat sheet instead"...ah, the voice of reason in this little sewing blog bubble :)